Mythender Available in Print!
After months of folks asking for it to be in print, Mythender is finally available! This is possible because of DriveThruRPG’s print-on-demand program with Lightning Source, making a book with color interior feasible.
The electronic version will always be free. Always. That’s part of my covenant with the folks who helped a friend clear her cancer bills via the Random Kindness Bundle. The print version, which is a gorgeous and sizable book — 6″x9″, 276 pages — is $25.
One of the side reasons I decided to go through DriveThruRPG is that they have a setup with Lightning Source that allows for printing in the UK, thus shipping is actually feasible to places other than the US. I hope that helps my international peeps out, especially my Canadian ones (who, if I understand right, will get theirs from the UK to save on shipping; I don’t understand it all myself).
The Final Version (v1.04)
So much has changed with the book at this point, in small ways — fixing consistent capitalization, removing old terms that I thought were gone (like “Harmed” when it should be “Wounded”), various little clarifications, and so on. The big changes between this and the last version:
- There’s now a different cost for destroying lasting Blights. See page 139.
- There’s an Extended Rules chapter, covering rules that are awesome but not necessary to the core experience.
- Bits at the end of the Hearts, Pasts, and Fates chapters about making new ones.
- A page of advice from others on making the tutorial battle work.
- An index!
- Gifts have been tweaked, no doubt, but at this point I can’t remember if there have been significant changes. :D
Of course, the PDF will all this goodness continues to be free, and the handouts on MythenderRPG.com have been updated to suit.
In the spirit of transparency, I figure I’ll share this info. First of all, the per-unit breakdown: each copy bought has a base price of Us$8.25 (if printed in the US; roughly $9.10 if printed in the UK). Whatever amount I charge, first you subtract that cost. From there, I get 65%, with the other 35% going to cover DriveThru’s costs. That means I get in return $10.88 per US sale, $10.33 for non-US ones.
First, that gets to cover my monetary expenses — namely, the cost of the cover and the cost of the two proofs. Once those are covered, which will take around 30 sales. From there, I have two things I’m looking at:
- Josh Roby did the editing back in 2012 gratis, volunteering for it since I didn’t have a budget as it was to be just a free product. If I’m getting money, so damn well should he.
- Most of the money I get from this is going into my “fund new stuff” kitty, so that I can do small projects without impacting my ability to buy groceries.
By pricing it at $25, it also means I can sell it directly to game stores I have a relationship with, like the awesome EndGame in Oakland. Those arrangements typically involve the store buying for 50%, which means that while I won’t make a lot of money on those sales after you remove the cost of the book, it’s okay enough to do in that case. Be cool to finally see Mythender on a store shelf after all these years.
I’ll admit that I’ve been waffling back and forth on the price; the idea of Josh getting paid Josh cemented the deal.
Inside Scoop & Contest Peeps
If you bought into the Master Plan Inside Scoop or in the Mythender error contest I held a bit ago, and you’re looking to buy a copy, contact me before you do. I’ll be contacting you hopefully by Thursday, if not sooner.
Edit: I’ve contacted the contest winners and emailed the folks on the Master Plan Inside Scoop list (which, for those who don’t know, was part of a reward tier for the Master Plan podcast Kickstarter campaign). If you’re in the Inside Scoop and didn’t hear from me, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I still have all those Random Kindness Bundle rewards to fulfill, which is honestly going to take me a long time — it’s something I have to find time for that isn’t already marked for by publishers with paying projects that helps me deal with my new car payment.
I also have some future plans for Mythender — some have heard about my “Mythender Reborn” concept, the expansion that covers the Mythic Now. One day, one day…
Finally, A Word from Wil Wheaton
Wil Wheaton got to play Mythender last December, the infamous Ending of Santa Claus game. He decided to write a piece for the book about what playing Mythender meant to him. I was giddy as fuck to read it.
Happy Mythending, y’all.