Convention Book: Syndicate is Live!

Friends, do I have a hell of a deal for you.

Convention Book: Syndicate is live!

This book was hard to do — far harder than Progenitors — because the mandate of the line is counter to the way the Convention’s portrayed. They’re villains, ranging from Mr. Potter from It’s a Wonderful Life[1] to mafioso types. The previous writers reveled in them as nearly being moustache-twirling sociopaths.

My job was to show how they’re the heroes of their own stories. And thanks to my crack writing team (Leonard Balsera, Adam Koebel, Josh Roby, and Malcolm Sheppard), we did just that. Frankly, as someone who grew up in a family in financial straits, who has suffered under the American health system, and whose mother just lost her house because of a banking technicality, I was a bit disgusted with some of the stuff that we were personally writing:

We explained why the Syndicate is the greatest force of good for all humanity.

A couple of my alpha readers messaged me after reading it, with “oh fuck you, Macklin, now I understand them.” — which is what I was going for, as the developer on the book. And in reading this, you too will fully understand the mindset of the Syndicate agent, no matter the Methodology.

Here’s a little bit of what’s in store:

• Information on how the internal Union economy works.
  • The Enlightened Syndicate agent and how she deals with procedures in the world.
  • The Convention post-Reorganization, and how it saved the Union from collapse.
  • The Syndicate’s alternate theory of Prime, Primal Utility. Spoiler: it’s a game-changer.
  • What exactly happened to Special Projects Division?
  • And a little hint of what will be in the upcoming Convention Book: Void Engineers.

Forum links where people are talking about the book:

P.S. Because some cockbite did it last time, this time I will just delete any trolling bullshit comments, since they don’t come from the Enlightened. :)

[1] Incidentally, I truly loathe that film with all of my being, and won’t sit through a viewing of it.

11 Responses to Convention Book: Syndicate is Live!

1. Octavo says:

Just finished the intro fiction. I love that it’s basically the Syndicate’s response to the Progenitor Convention book.

2. Octavo says:

Nice, I didn’t catch that. I’ll have to reread my NWO book.

Leonard Balsera wrote the fiction bits for both NWO and Syndicate, so he really enjoyed getting to bring her back.

3. Chris Bell says:

Does the book have the Syndicate’s position on the Labor Theory of Value? And are their Libertarian-Socialist Syndicate members, or is the Convention purely capitalist? Looking forward to this one.

The book doesn’t go into that directly, though you can infer differing opinions within the Convention. The focus is on the capitalist viewpoint, but the Convention certainly has others. And Primal Utility can be viewed in a Libertarian-Socialist light.

(One of the many things we could expound upon and make this book double the size, but focused our limited word count budget elsewhere. You should see all the ideas that hit the cutting room floor on each of these Convention books, along with those that people bring up once they’re published that we wish we had thought of.)

4. Andy says:

I’m not into Mage at all, but this sounds really blasted intriguing. Would I have to read anything else to appreciate it?

I hate to say it, but yet. This is not an intro book, nor intended to be. It requires at minimum basic understanding of the politics of the Mage: the Ascension world, some of its history, etc. — and the fanbase for it has more ingrained knowledge than that.

• Andy says:

Hmm, okay. I’ll definitely keep it in mind should I start delving into Mage! :-)

5. I haven’t picked this up just yet, but I think the hard part is recognizing that the Syndicate is more than just western big business. They’re also at he root of things like Hong Kong and Singapore, kiva.org and other financial instruments that have raised people out of poverty (and superstition) over the centuries. Heck, even the sorts of loans that made family farms in North America viable for decades longer than they otherwise would have been.

And of course, there’s the “yeah, we’re bad, but the alternatives are even worse” angle.

After NWO, this is the Convention book I’ve looked forward to the most.