Fate Core

I’m happy to say that Fate Core’s Kickstarter has launched! Of course, by now everyone reading this has probably seen it, but still worth me pointing out.

When I left Evil Hat, Core was late in development. Lenny & I spent quite a bit looking at every point where people complained about rules confusing, every point where we were found that we were explaining around things when playing at conventions, and language use in general.

Fate Core’s math isn’t dramatically different — it didn’t need to be. But we kept finding problems with its language, and because of that, we re-designed parts. Back it and you’ll see; the playtest draft is available upon backing.

I used to joke that Core was Lenny & I writing a book on how language affects mechanics. (Because language affects conception and perception, and that affects when we use mechanics and how we interpret them.)

The rest of the Core team’s pretty rocking, as well. Jeremy Keller is solid people, and I can’t think of two people better suited to be the next leaders of the Fate community than Mike Olson & Brian “Lord Danger” Engard. And, of course, Fred Hicks will make it look good, both in an aesthetic sense and in an information transmission/cohesion sense.

So, if Fate’s even remotely your thing, or it was once and grew not to be, check it out. We didn’t just rehash Fate 3’s text for generic purposes. And I’m pretty proud of that, even if I didn’t carry it over the finish line.

12 Responses to Fate Core

1. Lenny Balsera says:

I couldn’t have done it without you, sir. Thank you.

We also couldn’t have done it without bourbon. I hope bourbon’s in the “special thanks” credits. ;)

2. Andy says:

My gosh yes. The PDF is glorious. I finally feel comfortable with the thought of handing it to someone else with no explanation. I loved FATE, but was at odds with the way it was presented. It’s markedly more professional now.

Also, though the art is not currently there, the layout is already gorgeous.

One of the things that Lenny & I decided was that the Basics chapter should work as a self-containing chapter that players can read to get the gist of how the game works. As long as the GM knows how the whole game works, reading Basics should be enough for others at the table. And once interest is created, either by reading Basics or by playing after reading Basics, then the rest of the book is wide open.

Which is useful for certain forms of learning & comprehension where play is required in order to grasp and hold further concepts.

3. It was an honor to work on this with you guys. The response has been both humbling and gratifying, and that’s due in a large part to yours and Lenny’s efforts. Bravo.

4. Yay, this. I came in late in Fate Core’s development process, but it was a joy to work on.

5. Jared Nelson says:

When I caught wind of this project on Twitter last night, right before I went to bed, I promptly backed it at $30 without even thinking twice. Without reading the details, without even looking at the video. Still haven’t. This morning, I thought about why.

And it boils down to: Twitter engagement. The people I’ve interacted with on Twitter involved with the project have always been insightful and courteous. The company behind it seems to put a lot of value in engaging its fans, and I believe in that approach.

So hats off to everyone involved with Fate Core. Really looking forward to giving it a whirl.

6. JDCorley says:

FATE’s presentation has improved dramatically over the years. I can remember really struggling with it in Spirit of the Century, frowning at a bunch of free versions of it, then finally getting an “A HA” when reading Dresden Files and loving it from then on. I’m pleased to say that even in draft the trend continues.

Jason,

I had…a lot of thoughts when I got brought on to Dresden. But I can’t take all the credit — Amanda Valentine also pushed us into a better direction, one that didn’t require her direct involvement to keep with.

7. JDCorley says:

Dresden’s success in that area and others was obviously the result of a huge team effort; not that you’re not a phenom, but something of that scope and consistent quality just flat couldn’t be done without a great team.

Jason,

No doubt. That’s one of the things I love about teams around that size — you can designate people to be on the lookout for specific issues so that others can focus on different issues. (Also one of the reasons I dig working at Paizo.)

8. Hey Ryan thanks for the reminder of this, I was out of city on work when this flew out and missed the initial notice, just signed up for my book.

Clearly the game needs a Fate Core drinking game!